These muffins are absolutely bliss…from the omega-3 punch they pack to how they smell coming out of the oven, your body will be thanking you. Not to mention, the Ayurvedic in me always wants to stock up on my seasonal fruits – blueberries are a perfect wintertime treat, full of antioxidants, Vitamin C, and magnesium.
Another thing I love about these? Using hemp seed milk, friends of mine with severe nut allergies (such as, to almond milk!) can take part, risk-free!
Yields about 24 muffins (2 trays)
4 c. hemp seed milk (vanilla)
2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
4 c. rolled oats, blended into a fine flour
1 c. ground flaxseed meal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 c. brown sugar (may use 1/4 c. honey)
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/4 teaspoon honey
1 small banana, mashed
1 1/2 c. frozen blueberries
- Blend rolled oats in a blender until a fine, flour-like consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix hemp seed milk and vinegar in small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes or more, allowing to curdle.
- Mix dry materials in a medium bowl – oat flour, flaxseed meal, brown sugar (if not using the honey), baking powder, cinnamon, salt.
- You can quickly melt your coconut oil by placing a small mason jar in a small pot of boiling water.
- Mix in curdled “milk”, honey, and coconut oil, stirring thoroughly after adding each.
- Mash up banana in the small bowl you used for the milk curdling 🙂 and mix in.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill a lightly greased or lined muffin tray and pop those babies in for about 25-35 minutes. Denver is at a higher altitude than most, so my bake times vary somewhat.
- En.joy. Try to make them last 4 days! We usually gobble them all long before then.
While this was baking, I had a bit melted coconut oil and honey left over sooo…oil cleansing/mask time! Seriously, I took the opportunity to do dishes with the full coconut oil, sugar, and honey mask on, before doing a light scrub/massage, cover with a hot towel for 30 seconds, and done! The glow from nutrients and sheer geniusness was unreal. 🙂 Who doesn’t love multi-tasking?
I’ve seen this recipe done with quinoa flour as well. Isn’t that cool? The creativity of some people amazes me.